The hemp or the cannabis plant has a long history of human use. The earliest reference dates back to around 3000 BC and historically it’s been use mostly for medicine and for things like rope and fabric but as we know there are many other uses too. In this article we will talk about several nutritional benefits of hemp plant.
First of all, it’s important to differentiate between the hemp that we use for things like hemp seeds, hemp protein and the type that people use for intoxication purposes. The type that is good for industrial use is called Hemp and it is low in THC. It has to be less than 0.3% THC in order to be classified as Hemp. The type that people use for intoxication can have anywhere from a couple of percentages up to around 30 percentage THC.
The hemp plant in itself is incredible. Besides being beautiful, it actually is the fastest growing plant and it grows all over the world. It grows with very little help of fertilizers and its naturally pest resistant so very few pesticides are needed for its cultivation. It actually can help to repair damaged soil too.
Hemp and its Health Benefits
It is a well-known fact that hemp plant has many nutritional benefits. Now with the gaining popularity, you will hear about different hemp products that has health benefits and contains many nutrients such as fiber, amino acids, omega-3 and omega-6, etc and not only consumable products many daily and industrial use products are also coming in market like Hemp Fabric, Hemp Paper, etc.
Many nutritionist also suggests to consume supplements and health products in everyday life which is made from hemp. Especially in health enthusiast and fitness experts, hemp protein, hemp seeds, hemp milk etc. are very much popular. It is also considered to be more allergy-free than some plant proteins. No other single plant source can compare with the nutritional benefits of hemp plant.
The hemp seed can be eaten as whole but what is usually available in the market is the Hemp Heart. They are full of anti-nutrients. Hemp seeds are probably best known for being a good source of protein which they definitely are. In just one serving of hemp seeds which is three tablespoons you get nearly 10 grams of easily digestible protein containing all nine essential amino acids in good amount making this consider a complete protein. All plants fruits contain all nine essential amino acids but they are not even enough to be called as complete protein which makes hemp seeds the best option.
What makes nutritional benefits of Hemp Plant so unique and so digestible for the body is the type of protein that it’s made up of. It’s made up of two different types of protein which closely resembles the protein which we already have in our body which makes them compatible with human body. This also might be the reason of no known cases of hemp food allergies.
Hemp seeds are also known for being an incredible source of fatty acids, omega-3 and omega-6. The omega-3 and omega-6’s ratio is one of the most neglected aspect of human diet. However, it should be one of the most important considerations when talking about nutritional benefits of Hemp Plant.
Let’s take a look at some of the amazing nutritional benefits of hemp plant that are backed up by science:-
- It may reduce risk of heart disease. Regular consumption of hemp seeds is a great way to improve your heart health. It can help to reduce risk factors associated with heart disease as they contain unique amino acids one of which being arginine which produces nitric oxide in the body.
- As per studies, hemp seeds can lower and regulate blood pressure. It contains heart-healthy nutrients such as fiber and magnesium which improves your heart health.
- These seeds improve skin health. Regular consumption of hemp seeds is also a great way to naturally improve the health and look of our skin. This is because the hemp seeds are an incredible source of vitamin E. They help to improve dry and flaky skin by working as a natural moisturizer as well as they can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Studies have shown that it improves skin ailments such as eczema and other inflammatory skin conditions.
- It may also improve your digestion. When it comes to digestive health and overall digestion then hemp seeds are a great choice for you. They can promote regularity, add bulk and promote gut health by helping good bacteria in the gut to thrive.
- Hemp seed can also be effective at reducing symptoms associated with constipation and bloating. This is because the high level of soluble and insoluble fiber contained by these seeds.
- It reduce inflammation. Regular consumption of hemp seeds can help to reduce inflammation in the body, even chronic inflammation too. Along with that, it also helps in boosting our immunity naturally. The reason behind it that they are high in nutrients and anti-oxidants. More importantly, they contain a fatty acid profile that can help to reduce inflammation which improves the immunity system. This will be beneficial for reducing joint pain and stiffness.